A short Guide for writing a Proposal
We generally apply for various program funds through proposals. There are various categories in which we use proposals. Hence there are no standard forms for proposals. Yet, it is essential that a proposal should have some basic elements which are key factors determining the proposals and their quality.
When writing proposals, you should give proper importance to the appearance of these key elements. You should know which are the areas where you have to give due attention while writing proposals.
- The cover page is one of the key parts of the proposals. You should summarize the information needed to identify the proposal in this cover page. Give the title of the proposal and the name, address and contact number of the investigator in the cover page itself. You can also include the name of the agency and the program along with the start date and end date of the project in the cover page.
- The proposal should have a summary which abstracts the complete proposal including the ‘wh-‘questions of the proposed project. Always limit this page to a maximum of two.
- The introduction of the proposal should be attractive because, it is the main element which brings reviewer’s attention to the proposal. You should highlight the intention and outline of the proposal in the introduction.
- The problem statement should indicate the need for the project with the goals and objectives clearly stated. You can include the research questions of your project here. Such a description should be capable of indicating the contribution of the project and your vision.
- The methodology is intended to describe the various methods that you use to get the outcomes expected. This will give an impression to your reviewers that, you are well organized and managed and have clear aims. This will improve their impression in you as it shows your ability to handle complexities in the project.
- The budget in a proposal should clearly define the total cost incurred in the project where as the budget narrative should explain the derivation of the cost and budget. The evaluation method will evaluate the progress and success of the project. You can once again summarize the proposal in its conclusion and include appendices at the end.
- It’s important to write a proposal with great accuracy because this is the stat of any serious communication process. The manner in which a presentation is made, determines the success of your proposals and paves the way to any conversions that are made.